Exemplar Using Andragogy:
Lesson Plan: Assign participants the roles of Liliana's social worker, visiting nurse, and family physician. They must produce a care plan for Liliana and her infant in one hour. Focus the lesson on confidentiality. Each member of the health team knows one item the others do not know:
- The social worker alone knows Liliana's mother died at age 40 of a hereditary form of breast cancer, and now Liliana is very concerned the same may happen to her.
- The visiting nurse alone suspects the infant has a genetic disorder.
- The family physician alone knows the absent father is HIV positive, and is in poor health.
When the health team discusses Liliana's case, they must consider: The Privacy Act; professional ethics; data storage and transmission; and duty and standard of care.
- Malcolm S. Knowles. (1950). Informal adult education: a guide for administrators, leaders, and teachers. New York: Association Press.
- Merriam, S. B., Caffarella, R. S., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2007). Learning in adulthood: A comprehensive guide (3rd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.